- Personal information obtained from supporters through pledge cards, letters, surveys, applications, and other forms, in writing, in person, by telephone, or electronically (e.g. name, address, employer, birth date, credit card number, family members, interests, etc.)
- Individual information may also be collected about a supporter’s present and past giving history, volunteer activity, committee service, information from public documents and reports, and any other interactions an individual may have had with VCF, VCS, or member ministry employees.
ELIGIBILITY: This policy applies to Vincentian Collaborative System (VCS) and all it’s member ministries including, Vincentian Charitable Foundation (VCF), Vincentian Child Development Center (VCDC), Vincentian Rehabilitation Services (VCS Rehab Services), Vincentian Marian Manor (VMM), Vincentian de Marillac (VdM), Vincentian Home (VH), and Vincentian Schenley Gardens (VSG).
I. GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- We do not sell, rent, lease, trade or share supporter information.
- Without the supporter’s consent, we do not provide their information to organizations or individuals outside VCF, VCS or the member ministries.
- We contractually require any person or organization providing services to VCF, VCS or the member ministries to protect the confidentiality of supporter information.
- We will hold strictly confidential all information concerning supporters, including names, addresses, names of beneficiaries, nature, and value of estates, amounts of provisions or gifts, etc., unless a donor/prospect grants permission to use selective information for purposes of referral, testimonial, examples, recognition, or publicity.
- We have procedures in place to limit access to information to those employees and volunteers who need to know such information in order to fulfill our mission.
- We educate our employees and volunteers about the importance of protecting the privacy and security of confidential personal and organization information.
- We will use our best efforts to comply with the expressed wishes of any supporter who does not want their name used in any promotional material, wishes their name removed from solicitation lists, or wishes to have their gifts or services be anonymous.
- We will collect, use and share information about our supporters among employees and volunteers only on a need-to-know basis and for the sole purpose of carrying out the mission of VCF, VCS and the member ministries.
II. USE OF SUPPORTER INFORMATION
VCF uses supporter information to understand supporter needs and provide better services. Specifically, we use supporter information to help complete supporter transactions, communicate with supporters, and to update supporters on the VCS ministries. Credit card numbers are used only for donation or payment processing and are not retained for other purposes. We use donor comments to guide the delivery of services and improve communications with the general public.
III. SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
VCF, VCS and the member ministries will not sell, rent, lease, trade or share supporters’ personal information to other organizations. Donors will be publicly recognized annually in the VCS Annual Report. We assure all supporters that their identity will be kept confidential when requested.
IV. REMOVAL FROM MAILING LIST
VCF does not wish to send unwanted mail to supporters. All requests for removal from contact lists (mail, email, phone, etc.) will be honored immediately.
V. DONOR BILL OF RIGHTS
VCF, VCS and the member ministries have adopted The Donor Bill of Rights as published by The Association of Fundraising Professionals. We believe all supporters have the right to:
- be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition or to remain anonymous if desired.
- be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.